Meet the Calligrapher: Evelyn Litster


Continuing our 'Meet the Calligrapher' series we sat down with Evelyn Litster the groups "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer" to get her insight on what calligraphy means to her.
GS: What is your favourite script?
It has to be Foundational. It was the first script I learned with individual letters being practised continually over 8-10 weeks. So I can write Foundational at the drop of a hat with an occasional check that I'm not straying from what I was taught. I also like learning pointed pen scripts with flourishes so my answer might change if asked the question in the future......
GS:What made you start learning calligraphy?
I think I saw some publicity for local art centre classes and thought that calligraphy would be fun to try. The evening class was excellent - due to an excellent, patient and experienced tutor I was hooked and have continued to learn since then. Thanks Linda!
GS:Memorable calligraphy person you've met?
In addition to the many talented UK calligraphers who've delivered workshops for the Glasgow Scribes, and our talented members, I'm also thinking about a Chinese calligrapher at a Florida beach craft fair who effortlessly wrote people's names on a paper scroll for $5 each. He spent minutes producing lovely colourful letters and Chinese flowers, birds and insects - all done easily and quickly. Every time I look at my scroll I think of him sitting working at the fair near the sandy beach and turquoise sea on a lovely warm evening, how beautiful his work is and what I fabulous holiday I had. Sigh!
GS:Funniest/trying workshop/calligraphy story
Funniest story off the top of my head - my attempts to lower the projector screen in our meeting room without taking it off the wall. Keith, one of our members, is a dab hand at the awkward screen!
Trying story - without mentioning names or actual situations experienced it could be when an organiser's skills and patience are tested to the limit due to background or human circumstances.
When did you join the Scribes?
Several years ago. I've watched how the group, membership and activities have grown and changed, have met many knowledgeable, skilled and sharing calligraphers and have learned lots. For the past few years the Glasgow Scribes have been a steady, friendly, enthusiastic band of members who are keen to share their skills with fellow members, visitors and potential calligraphers - that's a great group to be a member of!
The best calligraphy book you've read/bought?
My favourite reference book is The Calligrapher's Bible by David Harris which contains countless scripts and how to write them.
What calligraphy resource/tool/material could you not live without?
My Pilot Parallel Pens and Pilot inks! The popular pens are smooth to use and gradation effects can be achieved by "tipping" one pen nib to another. The inks are blue, black or coloured and flow easily from the pens and are great on suitable papers. If only Pilot developed more nib sizes..... And I shouldn't forget the Calligrapher's Bible for script reference.
What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?
Outdoor activities, listening to music, meet ups and short trips away with friends. And.....rummaging in my treasure trove of purchased calligraphy items :)
What was the last book you read/or are reading?
The Calligrapher's Bible....
Last TV Programme/Movie you watched?
The last TV programme was a catch up of River City - a Scottish based produced soap with great storylines, characters and actors (many of whom are seen in and around Glasgow on public transport). A visit to the programme's set in Dumbarton is also a must for programme fans (I've been in The Tall Ship, the Cafe, Bob's garage and Scarlett's livingroom!).
For the last movie - I've recently watched The Naked Gun Trilogy again after finding it in a pile of 50p DVDs - a rare bargain plus a very funny film with Leslie Nielsen as Lieutenant Frank Dreben. Every time I watch re-runs of The Naked Gun films I have to laugh again at his antics/incompetence and usually discover background things I didn't notice before.