Meet the Calligrapher: Susan Moor


Back in March, we were lucky to host Susan Moor for a very interesting workshop on formal Roman Capitals. Continuing our "Meet the Calligrapher" series, we wanted to know what matters to Susan when it comes to all things calligraphy.

What's your favourite calligraphy tool or material?

It won't surprise some of you that my favourite calligraphy tool is a Brause 66EF nib. It's delicate and flexible but robust, great for both drawing and lettering.

What made you start learning calligraphy?

I was inspired by my father's beautiful italic script. He didn't really do formal calligraphy but he was the only person I've ever known who could even write exquisitely with a biro.

What does calligraphy mean to you?

For me, calligraphy means bringing together the visual and the verbal, and not having to make an impossible choice between art and literature.

Advice for new calligraphers?

Keep looking at good letterforms, practise as often as you can, and find a teacher who offers both criticism and encouragement.

The best calligraphy book you've read/bought?

My favourite calligraphy book is Historical Scripts by Stan Knight: great examples well photographed, and analysis by a calligrapher rather than a palaeographer.

Memorable calligraphy person you've met?

Ewan Clayton and Robert Cooper on my first calligraphy retreat on Lindisfarne. Together they transformed by notion of what calligraphy could be, and what calligraphers can do.

Do you have a favourite past/current piece of work?

My favourite piece of calligraphy continues to be the Lindisfarne Gospels. I love the coming together of planning and improvisation: a line overruns its allotted length so the scribe writes vertically, or letters get creatively compressed as on the Matthew Incipit page.

Memorable calligrapher you've met?

In 2000 I went to a conference at Ditchling and the main speaker was Hermann Zapf. He remains my calligraphic hero, and I just wish I hadn't been too shy to tell him that I think his work is amazing.

What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraph?

I love walking in the countryside. Northumberland is a glorious county, and at the moment I'm really missing being able to share walks along the Tyne Valley or Hadrian's Wall, ending at a convenient pub.

Last TV/Movie you watched?

Although I never watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I enjoyed Quiz, about the major's coughing colleagues. I've just (aptly enough) phoned a friend, and neither of us could work out whether the Ingrams were cheating or not!