Meet the Calligrapher: Raymond O’Donnell

Continuing our 'Meet the Calligrapher' series we sat down with Raymond one of our members to find out what draws him to the beautiful art of calligraphy.


When did you join the Scribes?

I am the world’s worst at estimating time passing. I have copies of submissions on my computer that date back to 2011, so that’s probably the start of my life as a ‘Glasgow Scribe’. To put it another way, I joined the Glasgow Scribes a year into retirement from teaching, shortly after I came across their stall at the Craft Show in Glasgow.

What is your favourite script?

From the moment that I realised how to produce thick and thin lines, I have been taken by pointed pen writing. I love Copperplate but I also enjoy the more modern scripts by Hermann Zapf.

What does calligraphy mean to you?

For me, calligraphy has always been about handwriting and the presentation of texts, rather than the creation of artistic pieces.

What made you start learning calligraphy?

When I was in third year at secondary school, a new pupil was placed next to me in the chemistry class. I was astonished at his handwriting; he wrote in what I later realized was an italic script. My handwriting was more of the ‘hairy spider struggling across the page having splashed through ink’ script. I immediately began to write in a printing style with separate letters. Not quite italic, but I could now read my handwriting.

The other early influence was the fact that whenever there was a special occasion at home, such as a birthday, my mother would produce her broad nib pen and a little sampler book, and she would write a message in what we knew as “Old English”. Over the ensuing years I used the practice of handwriting, in gothic or italic scripts, as a relaxation.

I never did learn calligraphy.

What calligraphy resource/tool/material could you not live without?

My computer; my led light box; my Glasgow Scribes mug, and my Brause 66EF nib.

As a comparatively recent participant in calligraphy activities, I prefer to spend my time writing rather than on measuring, layout or guide line tasks. I am happy to use technology to help with that side of things.

The best calligraphy book you've read/bought?

The ‘Holy Grail’ for me would be attractive flourishing. The best book for discussion and examples I’ve come across is “Flourishing – A New Approach to an Ancient Art” by Bill Hildebrandt – difficult to source but if you persevere on the Internet you will find large sections reproduced.

What was your last (most enjoyable) piece of work?

When I began thinking about calligraphy ‘Art’ pieces, for some reason I had the notion of producing a Periodic Table of the Elements. I eventually completed one and managed to sneak in some nonchemical items among the symbols.

What was the last TV/Movie you watched?

Without a doubt, the best piece of television I have ever watched is “The West Wing”. I’ve lost count of the number of times that I have gone through the whole series. Best comedies – “The Big Bang Theory” and “The Upstart Crow”.

I don’t know when I last watched live TV apart from news programmes.

What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

Folk music, listening and performing, was a big thing for many years – Not so much now that the ears are packing in. Also photography – especially 3D and 360 degree pics.

Tip for the day/week!

My first exhibit for the Scribes was a clock with a face that read, “What may be done at any time will be done at no time.”

How true that is!