Meet the Calligrapher: Edward Gardner


Meet the Calligrapher is back! In our first interview since February we caught up with Edward Gardner, one of our long standing Scribes members to find out what he loves about calligraphy.


How long have you been doing calligraphy?

I have been doing calligraphy since my schooldays.( The 1950s)


What made you start learning calligraphy?

I saw a page of German fractur script in the back of an English/German dictionary and, having been given a Conway fountain pen with an Italic broad nib, just gave it a try. I wasn't too happy with the result personally, but schoolmates and Mum/Dad thought it was great!! Encouragement means a lot when starting off.


What is your favourite script?

Any form of black Gothic originally, then foundational roundhead but latterly Copperlate morphing into Spencerian Script.


What's your favourite calligraphy tool or material?

My favourite pen is dip in broad nib, then oblique pen with 'G' pointed nib. I enjoy using Pentel Parallel pens for Gothic.


Most memorable calligraphy person you've met?

I cannot mention just one. It's got to be three - Michael Sull, Barbara Calzolari and Ewan Clayton.


Funniest/trying workshop/calligraphy story?

Attempting to do somebody's name, in a restaurant on a serviette using the end of a burnt match (Versal script).


Tip for the day/week?

I recently discovered a brand of Soya Sauce whose bottle has two ideal pouring spouts suitable for storing black ink (Chinese ink naturally).


What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

Putting miniature sailing ships in bottles, when time permits.


If you could invite 3 calligraphers (past/present) to dinner, who would you invite?

The three I've previously mentioned - Michael Sull, Barbara Calzolari and Ewan Clayton.


Last TV/Movie you watched?

John Wayne, in 'Stagecoach'. I love John Ford Westerns.