Meet the Calligrapher: Robert Cook


For this Meet the Calligrapher interview we asked Robert Cook, a Scribe's member for some years now about how he got started in calligraphy and his inspirations for the art form.


How did you find out about the Scribes?

From a poster up in Millers art shop in Glasgow.


What was your last piece of work?

The last piece I finished was Insular majuscule text with an initial E made from lion eating a bird. I started this a long time ago but only got round to finishing the Colouring recently - I always have lots of projects at different stages. I'm currently working on Christmas cards.


What is your favourite script?

Insular Majuscule, a Celtic script in the style of the Book of Kells. I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from the Book of Kells – it is incredibly beautiful.


What's your favourite calligraphy tool or material?

I'm always happy with a mechanical pencil, drawing ornate letters that can later be coloured in to start a piece of calligraphy. I usually spend more time drawing the initial letter than writing calligraphy with a pen.


What made you start learning calligraphy?

I started drawing letters with a pencil. It grew out of doodling, seeing if I could Copy printed letters then somehow became more serious. One day someone gave me a calligraphy pen as a gift but it wasn't for a few years that I got lessons and learned to use it properly.


Most memorable calligraphy person you've met?

Duncan Tolmie, who taught calligraphy classes at the City of Glasgow College and gave me a good grounding in the basics.


Favourite calligraphy piece produced so far?

It is hard to choose one piece of work, but I am very pleased with this gilded illuminated letter C.

Last TV/Movie you watched?

The Shape of Water was the last film I watched, but I don't get much time with a 14 month baby boy who takes up most of my time.


What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

I've been learning Gaelic for the last year.


If you could invite 3 calligraphers (past/present) to dinner, who would you invite?

    1. Eadfrith - the monk responsible for the Lindisfarne Gospels. Whereas the Book of Kells is thought to be the work of several Scribes and illuminators whose names are not recorded, the Lindisfarne gospels is the work of one person with a recorded name, and it would be fascinating to have an insight in to the mind and the world that created it. We'd need an interpreter though.
    2. William Morris - not strictly a calligrapher but arguably we wouldn't have had the revival of medieval calligraphy without him, and his designs are beautiful
    3. Mark Drogin (1936 - 2017) - he was a calligrapher who wrote a fascinating book on Medieval Calligraphy, along with beautiful guides for each script.

You can follow Robert's calligraphy on his instagram here.