Meet the Calligrapher - Dave Simons


Happy New Year everyone - here at the Scribes we hope you all had a lovely festive period and ready for 2024!

We're kicking the new year off with a new "Meet the Calligrapher" interview with the highly regarded Dave Simons. Before the holidays we had the opportunity to interview him after he held an engaging two day workshop for us in Glasgow. Here's what he had to say about his time practising calligraphy.

What does calligraphy mean to you?

Calligraphy for me is a way of life… It has helped me focus on positive things in the world, it is my therapy.

How long have you been doing calligraphy?

Around 20 years. I have always had an interest in calligraphy since a child, in awe of traditional calligraphy in historical manuscripts and commercial documents. I decided to take it more seriously after watching someone demonstrate at a craft fair at Blenheim Palace.

What calligraphy resource/tool/material could you not live without?

Pointed nibs! After studying the traditional styles of Foundational, Italic and Gothic with the broad edged nib, I decided I wanted to learn Copperplate and now I always get a buzz out of the graceful thick and thin lines whenever I get the pointed nibs out!

What was your last piece of work?

I was approached by a young lady who wanted me to undertake a calligraphy commission for a Christmas present. 'The poem was written by a soldier who is considering his next steps in life after leaving the forces'. It was so nice to be given the opportunity to put pen to paper and preserve the lovely poem into a framed piece of calligraphy.



What is your favourite script?

Copperplate… It has always been my favourite since discovering the style on old invoices and documents.

Memorable calligraphy person you've met?

Jean Larcher. He was a wonderful calligrapher who enjoyed flourishing with his style of Copperplate.

Favourite calligraphy piece produced so far?

Art and the Letter pieces for CLAS are always favourites of mine because it allows you to create a piece of calligraphy without the restrictions of commission work. I enjoyed creating this piece using gold and graduating gouache colours within the lettering.



Advice for new calligraphers?

Enjoy your progress… experiment with different styles. Have patience with your practice… It can create lots of highs and lows, but the lows are learning curves leading to highs.

Last TV/Movie you watched?

Equaliser 3… I very rarely watch television, but every now and then I go to the cinema with my wife for an evening out. I did enjoy watching a .. not so young Denzel Washington get the better of the local crime gangs.

What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

Football and racket sports were a huge part of my life, so, now my legs don’t want to play anymore, I have taken up more gentle hobbies. Gardening/Nature. I am enjoying time in the garden by encouraging as much wildlife into it as possible. It is not a big garden but I have built a pond, introduced hedgehog houses, bird boxes and feeders, bug hotels, bee hotels, bat boxes, swift boxes, a hibernaculum, dead hedge, and wildflower meadow in place of the lawn. Not everything is being used yet but it is a fascinating challenge. I also enjoy trying to play the piano and trying to learn pieces I enjoy, rather than the exam pieces I did when I was a kid which put me off playing for quite a few decades! The gym is another pastime I now enjoy, which is the next best thing to playing sports.