Meet the Calligrapher: Tim Noad


We're back with a new 'Meet the Calligrapher' to kick off 2020 with esteemed calligrapher Tim Noad! We found out what matters to him when it comes to calligraphy when he visited us last November to host his brilliant workshop on Heraldic Illumination.


What made you start learning calligraphy and illuminating?

I decided to become a heraldic artist at the age of twelve and wanted to be able to do some calligraphy to go along with it. I did a little on my own but started properly when I attended a two year course in Calligraphy, Heraldry and Illumination at Reigate in 1984. It took a long time before I felt that my calligraphy was good enough but now I enjoy all three parts of the craft equally.

How long have you been doing calligraphy/illuminating?

About 38 years all together and 33 professionally.

What is your favourite script?

Italic; it is the most attractive, versatile and legible. Italic can be varied in size, weight and formality and can be plain or flourished.

What's your favourite piece of work that you've produced?

Some of the Royal Charters I am most proud of because they combine calligraphy with heraldry and illumination, all working in harmony together. I have given them my highest standards of design and execution and they have a legal function as well as being part of a long British tradition.

Advice for new calligraphers?

Keep practicing and enjoy it; be patient and eventually it will come right.

The best calligraphy/illuminating book you've read/bought?

The Calligrapher's Handbook by Heather Child is the most useful. I also love books on illuminated manuscripts.

What calligraphy resource/tool/material could you not live without?

Erasers; I have a heavy duty grey one which is good for vellum and a fine pointed soft Tombow one which is great for rubbing out pencil lines close up to the letters.

Tip for the day?

Don't procrastinate! I am terrible for that.

What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

I enjoy gardening, I visit art exhibitions and I listen to Baroque music.

Last TV/Movie you watched?

Judy with Renee Zellweger and American Gardens with Monty Don.