Meet the Calligrapher: Jan Pickett


When acclaimed calligrapher Jan Pickett came to visit us in Glasgow for her workshop; "Decorated Letters" we took the opportunity to ask her about how she got started in her calligraphy career and memorable highlights.


What was the last calligraphy piece you were working on?

My most recent commission was for The Royal Yachting Association completed 2 weeks ago. However my most prestigious commission was to prepare the gilded scroll for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of Prince George and presented to them at the Lindo wing, before they left the hospital.


What is your favourite script?

My favourite script is definitely Italic, as it is so versatile.


What's your favourite calligraphy tool or material?

l love playing with large Automatic pens and my favourite materials are anything to do with gilding.


What made you start learning calligraphy?

l first 'met' calligraphy when studying Graphics and Illustration at Cardiff Art College in the late 1960's. However l really got back into it in 1989 on return from living in Hong Kong for 4 years. l studied at Roehampton and became totally hooked, joined CLAS and SSI and never looked back!


The best calligraphy book you've read/bought?

My favourite calligraphy books (ongoing series) are the wonderful Speedball series and l recently bought the 25th edition- magic!


Memorable calligraphy person you've met?

The most memorable person l have met was Prince Charles when he visited a calligraphy exhibition in which l was exhibiting some 20 years ago and he asked me about my illustrated work entitled 'Y Ddraig Goch' (The Welsh Dragon). However, my most memorable Calligrapher is without doubt Tim Noad. I love and admire his work hugely and he was my proposer for CLAS Fellowship. Tim is a good friend and our cats always exchange greetings within Christmas cards!


Tip for the day/week!

My best advice when becoming stressed over a piece of work calligraphy is ‘Just remember, it’s only a piece of paper’


Last TV/Movie you watched?

The last movie l watched was 'Belfast' and favourite TV series is ‘Spring watch’


What hobbies/activities do you do other than calligraphy?

My favourite pastimes other than calligraphy are dog walking, dinghy sailing/racing, which l do most weekends and downhill skiing. As l write this l am in Val Thorens in the French Alps for a week skiing with my son, daughter in law and 14 other friends from my sailing club…first time for 3 years because of the pandemic. This will be my 55th year skiing- wohay!



What was the last book you read/or are reading?

l haven't read a novel for as long as l can remember, but constantly read Art, Calligraphy and books on Nature.